Polski English

History of St. Louis Church

1915
On May 12th, after conducting a Mission for the Polish people of Portland, the Rev. John J. Sciskalski, C.M. was asked by the Most Rev. Louis Walsh, D.D., Bishop of Portland, to remain in Portland in order to organize a new parish for the Polish-speaking people. The religious superior of the St. John Kanty Monastery in Erie, Pennsylvania gave permission to Father Sciskalski to help the Polish Catholics organize a parish.

1915
In June the Holy Rosary Society for women was organized by Father Sciskalski.

1915
Father Sciskalski organized and administered to the spiritual needs of approximately 250 Polish families. Masses and other religious services were conducted in the basement of St. Dominic's Church. Due to poor health Father Sciskalski left Portland in the month of March of 1918.

1918
On March 27th the Rev. Peter M. Pojnar was assigned as curate to the Rev. Martin Clay in St. Dominic's Church with orders to take care of the spiritual needs of the Polish people and to further the work of organizing them into a new parish.
 

1924
A new church, on Danforth and Emery Streets, was built by and for the Polish people. It was called St. Louis Church. At this time Father Pojnar was appointed as the first pastor of the newly organized parish.

1929
A new rectory and garage were constructed near the church.

1929 - 1959
The following diocesan priests served as Assistants to Father Pojnar: Fr. Louis Berube, Fr. Ralph Corbeil, Fr. John Cummings, Fr. John Delaney, Fr. John Donovan, Fr. Henry Lappin, Fr. Charles Ledoux, Fr. Francis Walsh, and many Jesuit Fathers also helped on weekends at St. Louis Church.

1949
On June 12th, the first native son of St. Louis Parish, the Rev. Vincent A. Tatarczuk, celebrated his First Solemn High Mass in the St. Louis Church.

1952
On April 22nd the St. Louis Women's Society was organized by Father Pojnar.

1958
In March Father Pojnar celebrated the 40th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood.

1959
After serving the Polish people of Maine for over 40 years, Father Pojnar died on June 7th.

1959
On July 11th the Most Rev. Daniel J. Feeney, D.D., Bishop of Portland, issued official documents to the Very Rev. George M. Roskwitalski, OFM Conv., Minister Provincial of the Saint Anthony of Padua Province, entrusting the St. Louis Parish to the care of the Conventual Franciscans.

1959
On July 12th the Rev. Valerian Czywil OFM Conv. was installed as pastor.

1959
On July 17th the Rev. Sylvian Mucha OFM Conv. was appointed as Father Valerian's assistant.

1959
In September Confraternity of Christian Doctrine classes were inaugurated for Grammar and High School students.

1959
On December 6th the Apostleship of Prayer was established.

1960
On February 21st the St. Louis Holy Name Society was organized by Father Valerian.

1962
On July 1st the parishioners honored Father Valerian on his 25th anniversary of ordination to the Priesthood.

1962
On July 6th the Rev. Hyacinth Seremet OFM Conv. replaced Father Sylvian as assistant at St. Louis Church.

1964
On July 31st the Rev. Sylvian Mucha OFM Conv. returned to St. Louis church to serve as assistant.

1965
On April 28th a one week Retreat began in preparation for the Polish Golden Jubilee celebration.


 

1965
On May 30th the Most Rev. Daniel J. Feeney, D.D., Bishop of Portland, presided at the Mass of Thanksgiving offered by the Rev. Valerian Czywil OFM Conv., pastor of the St. Louis Church to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the founding of St. Louis parish. The Very Rev. Felix Bracikowski OFM Conv., Secretary of St. Anthony of Padua Province, preached the sermon. Following the Mass, an Anniversary Dinner was served in the church hall.
 

1966
On October 16th the Most Rev. Daniel J. Feeney, D.D., Bishop of Portland, and the Most Rev. Peter L. Gerety, D.D., Coadjutor Bishop of Portland, presided at the Mass of Thanksgiving offered by the Rev. Peter Bucki, O.F.M. Conv., to commemorate Poland's Millennium of Christianity. Rev. Peter Bucki preached the sermon. Chancellor and native son of St. Louis Parish, the Very Reverend Monsignor Vincent A. Tatarczuk, S.T.L., J.C.D. assisted the bishops. Following the Mass, a buffet lunch was served in the hall.

1970 - 1980
Brother Matthew Rzepka, O.F.M. Conv., 1970-1972 and Brother Victor Janusiewicz, O.F.M. Conv., 1972-1980, while they were here at St. Louis were very helpful to Father Valerian and Fr. Charles.

1976
Father Charles Porada, O.F.M. Conv. succeeded Fr. Valerian in 1976.

 

1982
On August 16, 1982 Father Ronald Sermak, O.F.M. Conv. arrived as Pastor of St. Louis Church.

1985
Father Ronald Sermak, O.F.M. Conv. celebrated his 25th Anniversary of his Priesthood on June 9, 1985.

1988
Father Herbert Skurski, O.F.M. Conv. arrived to St. Louis Parish on August 18, 1988.

1989
On May 7th the Rev. Herbert Skurski, OFM Conv., pastor of St. Louis Church, celebrated the 45th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood.

1990
On March 4th a five day mission began in preparation for the Parish 75th Jubilee Celebration by Rev. Conrad Miller, O.F.M. Conv.

1990
On May 27th, the Icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa was venerated in our church. Rev. Conrad Miller, O.F.M. Conv. conducted the services and devotions.

1990
On June 3rd, to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of St. Louis Parish, the Mass of Thanksgiving was offered by the Most Rev. Joseph J. Gerry, O.S.B., Bishop of Portland, as the Main Celebrant and Homilist, with The Very Rev. Daniel Pietrzak, O.F.M. Conv., Provincial of St. Anthony of Padua Province, and Rev. Herbert Skurski, O.F.M. Conv., Pastor of St. Louis Church, as Main Con-Celebrants. Former Pastors at the Mass were Rev. Ronald Sermak, O.F.M. Conv., who served as Master of Ceremonies; Rev. Valerian Czywil, O.F.M. Conv., as Lector and Rev. Charles Porada, O.F.M. Conv., reader of General Intercessions. Following the Mass, an Anniversary Dinner was served in the Church Hall.

1992
Father John Bambol, OFM Conv. arrived as Pastor of St. Louis Church.

1998
Father Ireneusz Chodakowski, MIC arrived as Pastor of St. Louis Church.

2004
On January 24th the Rev. Ireneusz Chodakowski, MIC, pastor of St. Louis Church, celebrated the 25th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood.

2009
On January 28th the Rev. Ireneusz Chodakowski, MIC, pastor of St. Louis Church, was moved by provincial of MIC to Thomson, CT. Father Louis Philips arrived at St. Louis Church as the parish administrator.